Between the Lines

Between the Lines - Jodi Picoult, Samantha van Leer My love of reading and books started with the classic fairy tales, which found their natural progression into books by Enid Blyton. I remember being fascinated with toys which came to life in the nursery, at night or when no one was there. (Before there was 'Toy Story', there was Amelia Jane.) I often imagined about the lives of Saucepan Man and Moon-Face atop the Magic Faraway Tree, and when I was not reading about them, I wondered what they were up to and dreamt about joining them on their adventures. But I digress...

It is on a somewhat similar premise that this book is based: a book character wanting to be more than just the role he plays in the story, and of a teenage reader who reads between the lines and sees beyond the printed page, who attempts to set him free.

Despite being marketed as a teenage / young adult read, there are some morsels of philosophical food-for-thought. (WARNING: *Some* disclosure (not spoiler) which you might not want to read before the book, in which case, skip the rest of this paragraph) -------- When the book is closed, the characters in the fairy tale live lives outside of the plot written for them in the story. They are imbued with abilities and personalities not evident or contradictory to the roles cast for them in the fairy tale. The observation was made (by one of the protagonists) that when the creator (author) penned those words, the characters were also woven with abilities and knowledge inherent in the author. This made me think of us mere mortals 'programmed' with innate gifts and talents (blessings) from our Creator, to be actualized outside of the day-to-day roles we play.

I picked up this book because I am a fan of Jodi Picoult's and was curious to see how different this one would be, being that it was co-authored with her daughter, and a deviation from her usual genre. For a book with such a simple premise, it certainly had enough twists and turns -- which while I was reading, I kept thinking that I would not have thought about that (twist).

I say this book is for the young-at-heart, for those who dream of stories coming alive, or for those who find themselves easily lost in the stories they read.