The Language of Flowers

The Language of Flowers - Vanessa Diffenbaugh Earlier in the year, I read ‘The Little Paris Bookshop’ (Nina George) in which a bookseller dispenses books from his literary apothecary to treat each reader’s malady and/or melancholy – a book which I enjoyed. In ‘The Language of Flowers’, flora is used as the tool of communication. Each flower and plant is a symbol of something; sometimes, even the color gives a different meaning. I am fascinated by all things code and symbols, and I liked how just the sending of flowers alone conveyed messages (granted, of course, the recipients knew what they stood for). Even if they didn’t, the ‘power’ message contained in the giving or presentation of those flowers alone was enough to change things around, and rectify a situation – so likewise, I enjoyed this book. [This is akin to the ability attributed to spices in ‘The Mistress of Spices’ (Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni)] In addition, there is a flower dictionary at the end of the book, compiled and condensed by the author in her research of other such old/archaic dictionaries.