The Wee Free Men - Terry Pratchett

Prior to this, I have never read anything by Terry Pratchett. I had wanted to for years, but kept putting it off on account of wanting to read them "in sequence." Perchance this book, and its sequel 'A Hat Full Of Sky' landed in my hands, and so I read them. Having done so, I can say that, as others have reviewed online, there are so many starting points and 'mini series' in the Discworld saga, and this one stood well on its own (despite being book #30 or so in publication / chronological order).

To me, this book is endearing in an Enid Blyton sort of way, with wee folk and all. It was also very now-you-see-it, now-you-don't in an 'Indian In The Cupboard' sort of way. Throw in a dash of Madeleine L'engle's, 'A Wrinkle In Time', and voilà! It is not my intention to pad the résumé of this book by relating it to all the other authors. On the contrary, those other authors / books are among my favorites, thus putting this book in the same league. The not-so-many-stars (3*) ranking is on account of my personal preference in having a more complex plot.