The Woman Who Wasn't There: The True Story of an Incredible Deception

The Woman Who Wasn't There: The True Story of an Incredible Deception - Robin Gaby Fisher, Angelo J. Guglielmo Jr. [Non-fiction] The subtitle reads: 'The True Story of an Incredible Deception'. When I picked up this book, I was under the impression that this woman suffered such traumatic stress from having gone through (survived) September 11, that she blanked out, and on account of mental and emotional self-preservation, could not even remember being there.

Just a few chapters in, there are details of her being helped by a young man with a red bandana, after the plane hit the south tower, in which she was in. I was instantly intrigued. I had read and watched a video about a young man with a red bandana helping victims that fateful day, and how his mother made contact with those whom her son rendered aid, but who himself did not survive. I was excited because I did not remember this woman's name being mentioned, and I knew from the video that the young man's mother had sought to find all those said victims.

I turned to Google to ferret out any (new) information, and the results left me gobsmacked. It turns out that this woman was *NOT* at the Twin Towers that day; she was not even in the country! Having now known this, I continue reading.... the elaborate (though slightly incongruous, but not immediately telling) details which were concocted, and the grief and other emotions that were displayed, which other people in the survivors network can attest to being 'real', is simply mind-staggering.

I cannot presume her motivations for such an elaborate hoax, and after I finished the book, I just closed it with a stunned "Wow!"