Till Human Voices Wake Us

Till Human Voices Wake Us - Patti   Davis In her grief, following the devastating loss of her only child, Isabelle slowly but surely falls in love with her sister-in-law. While the nature of this story might be taboo to some readers, I urge you to set aside all preconceptions and read this with an open heart. This is one of the very rare occasions when it was the book which found me.

At the crux of the story is an unspeakable pain -- whether that of the death of a child, a spouse, a parent, or any other loved one. That pain is uniquely yours, and there is a part of it that resides in a very deep place, a place that you, for some reason or another, keep out of bounds, sometimes even to yourself. If you have ever been in such a despairing situation, you'd know that you want someone to come hold you, hold your hand, keep your head above water so you don't drown. This book is such a story.

Some of my favorite segments from the book:

"...who we love is unpredictable. It just claims us and we have nothing to say about it."

"Belonging isn't a decision, it's a condition of the heart."

"People think they're running away from something, but really they're being pulled toward an unexpected meeting with the one other person who will see past the running, the desperation...straight into their soul."

"We find our homes with other people -- in the architecture of relationships, in the spaces of moments and years."

"There are caves in the world of grief, some sealed off from tears."

"There are all kinds of drowning. And all kinds of rescues. I need them to lift me to the surface and help me float there."

"The only deliverance for a damaged heart is love."

"Life is strange and unpredictable, but if (you) can find someone who will meet (your) soul with theirs -- if (you) can wake up in the morning and go to sleep at night knowing that love is right there next to (you) -- then (you'll) be living the best life (you) can."